Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cultural Barrier

Okay...so I was out trying to find bridesmaid dresses with Ira's sisters and we came across a cultural/language barrier, and I almost feel like it really wasn't one. We went into a bridal store run by some asian ladies. His sister asked if she can try on a few dresses. The first question was, "Are you going to by the dress today?" Well, we don't know yet. That's why we're going to try it on, see if we like it. All of a sudden, it was like she shut us out from the start. "Well, I don't see why you want to try it on then if you're not going to buy it today." I mean, those were not the exact words, but really, how is it that she automatically assumed that trying on something meant we would buy the dresses right then and there? Eventually, since the conversation kept going back and forth with us saying, "well that's why we want to try it. We don't know if we're going to like it yet." And her shutting us out, "why try it on if you're not going to buy it today..." So we ended up just leaving because it was so frustrating. At first we thought it could have been a cultural/language barrier, but I kind of don't think so. I think it was just plain rudeness. Well, maybe it's in their culture to buy something without trying it on first. I'm not sure....all I know is that it was pretty shocking and irritating...

No comments: