Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tumblr vs. Blogger

Okay, so here is the list that I came up with while going back and forth between Tumblr and Blogger. Here are the Pro's and Con's I had of Tumblr.

Cons
  1. No one can post comments on any posts. They do have a "reply" feature that you can enable, but that's only replies from people you follow. Even with this, you can't reply to your own posts or any other replies that you receive. If you do decide to enable this feature, you can't edit or delete any replies that you do receive...meaning you're stuck with any weird replies that may have been posted.This is actually a huge deal to me. I'm currently debating on which is better, and no one can comment back on this post and give me suggestions and/or opinions.
  2. Their dashboard where you can follow specific people only allows you to follow only Tumblr blogs. At least with Blogger, I was able to follow any type of blog, regardless if it was a Blogger one or not.
  3. They don't have a stats page. At least one that I could find. I recently found out that Blogger keeps stats of how many times your blog has been seen by people. 
  4.  I had a pretty hard time finding a way to search my email contacts for friends blogs on Tumblr.
  5. You can't import your old blogs from different programs (blogger, wordpress, etc.)
Pros
  1. They allow you to keep your copyrights.
  2. The Tumblr app on my Droid is super easy and simple to use.
  3. You can automatically publish to Twitter and Facebook, which I think is a great feature.Tumblr is great for sharing things and connecting it to your Twitter.
  4. You can backup your blog, which again is a great feature, but Blogger does this as well.
  5. You can draft a bunch of posts and then create a queue to post them automatically. However, Bloggers similar feature is a lot easier to use and has more options. You can specify a date and time when you want the blogs to post on Blogger.
Overall, it seems to me that Tumblr is more for those that do mini posts to their blog pretty frequently. All the pieces to it (their apps, their website and the publishing) seem very handy and simple to those that do mini posts. Blogger seems better for those that do a little more blogging. So really, you just have to pick which one suits you better.

Here's a great article I linked to earlier about Tumblr that basically confirmed my decision to stick with Blogger. 

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on Tumblr? I'd love to know.

No comments: